OSU Hires Bryan Nardo from Division II Gannon University as Next Defensive Coordinator

I’ll say this much for Gundy based on my experience as a fan and alum (full disclosure: I am not a fan of Dunn as our OC): during my time in school Jimmy and Pat collectively provided me with.a 2-2 bowl record, and not much positive expectations heading into each season. After that Pat, Bob, and Les really didn’t provide too much more, although Les did manage to bring a certain edge to the team, beat ou at home, and give us a 1-2 bowl record. Fast forward to Gundy and I can at least finally say we have increased level of winning overall, increased bowl participation, much greater chances of beating ou than we used to, and during many more seasons we can legitimately look forward to a genuine possibility of winning the conference. Basically we’re consistently competitive and relevant on the national level. Prior to Gundy I don’t believe we were. Is he worth the salary? I guess that’s a topic for a different discussion because it adds the element of who you could get and for how long. I’m just referring to what we have now versus what we had.

2 Likes

Come on over @bill18. I think you’ll find it refreshing how vastly different the discourse is on PFB+.

Once/if you subscribe DM me and I’ll send you a PFB shirt of your choosing on the house.

1 Like

I did not phrase that correctly so I apologize.

I feel very strongly that the PFB+ side in our forums provides much more value to the die-hard OSU fans than does the free side.

That said, I realize that while the annual membership is very affordable to most, it is an expense that not everyone is willing or able to incur.

2 Likes

“Jimmy and Pat collectively provided me with.a 2-2 bowl record” That’s incorrect. Pat won 3 by himself.

He said during his time in school. Maybe one of Pat’s bowls was after he graduated.

@travis5266 Maybe you’re right, but to find a 2-2 record combining Jimmy I& Pat would be over a 5yr span. He also referenced “not much positive expectations heading into each season”. He may need to refresh his memory on how 1983 ended & what the expectations were in 84’.

Where?

3-15 dude. The difference between Miles (as you’ve stated) and the others is that Les Miles wasn’t afraid of trying to win. Especially when it was against the school’s biggest rival.

I believe what I said was they provided me with a collective bowl record of 2-2 while I was in college, which was 81-85

2 Likes

@OSUgradndad85 Ok. My fault for misunderstanding. But 83 & 84 were, at that time in Cowboy football, very good years. The 1984 version of Bedlam is still the biggest in terms of rankings in the history of the rivalry

2 Likes

Let’s put it this way bill, relatively speaking I feel better these days about our chances to beat ou each season than I did a ways back. More optimistic maybe a better description?

2 Likes

Agreed. I was just trying to illustrate my thoughts based on a particular coach’s complete body of work at OSU (length of term included).

1 Like

I don’t know how you can be optimistic. We barely beat OU with the second best team Gundy had last season. OU went 6-7 this past season and we found ourselves down 28-0 after one quarter. Maybe just slightly more competitive during the games but still not equaling anything different in the winning department when it comes to Bedlam. To each their own I suppose.

1 Like

I mentioned my optimism comment was based on a comparison to many years back. Certainly not every game but most ou games I woke up on gameday pretty much expecting Murphy’s Law to visit Lewis Field or Owen Field; not if but when. Sometimes since Gundy has taken over I still get that feeling to a certain extent, but given the quality of players we now have (again, comparatively speaking) and the general higher confidence level our players have that ou can and has been beaten, I just approach the games differently now. I don’t mean in an arrogant way that I’m confident we’re going to win, rather, I just feel more optimistic that we’ll be competitive and pull out a win. If for no other reason, I just choose to live up here (hand above my head) rather than down there (hand below my chest).

3 Likes

Why do you care anyways? You and Roberto said Marshall and the other staff members aren’t real journalists already.

2 Likes

@OSUgradndad85 @bill18 As an OU fan, my earliest memories of Bedlam were simply chalking it up as an automatic W. OSU was looked at as a game that you were less proud to win & more ashamed of losing. Bedlam in football was a no contest. Even as a teenager on a recruiting visit to Norman in 1995, that loss was more as a sign of how bad the program was as opposed to anything being relevant in Stillwater. (Just to clarify, I wasn’t a legitimate recruit in football. People tend to not really understand how “recruiting” actually works. I was technically a recruit……but OU was never going to offer me a football scholarship). I was in the stands in 2000, 2001 & 02. 2002 was when FOR ME, the rivalry switched. It went from automatic W to an “oh s**t, these guys are going to be a problem”. Bedlam is absolutely alive & well from a respect/fear standpoint in Norman. Guys my dads age like to say it’s not……but it has been since 2001.

3 Likes

Back in the Switzer days ou won the game at the earlier of the following events: Barry breaks out the smokes, the players munch on hot dogs, or the game clock reaches 00:00. :smile:

1 Like

True. I have a pretty good Switzer pregame story before a KState game back in the 80’s. A little long for an OSU site

I understand where you are coming from Kyle, I probably blew off a little steam. I pay for the plus side to get information I can’t on the free board
This is the best pro OSU board out there. Thanks for you replying back :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Why didn’t put the whole sentence in there. ? Because it told why Knowles had success that’s why. If Michigan blasts them again this year Knowles will be gone. Day is very hard to work for

1 Like