OSU Hires Bryan Nardo from Division II Gannon University as Next Defensive Coordinator

This is a fair argument, but I’ll give two counters: 1) By this standard, he could have gotten a coach from the High School ranks or somewhere local like UCO or SNU. But we know that its not the same, because schemes that work against D2 talent will break down horribly against D1 talent. 2) As a D2 DC, he’s not accustomed to recruiting the star players that we need to compete in this conference, and as an individual from PA, he doesn’t have ties to any of our recruiting grounds. At least with Mason, he had name recognition and an NFL pedigree. So he brings us nothing in the recruiting game, and has no D1 experience (of any type). At least with Yurcich, he was running the #1 offense in their division year in, year out and its worth noting, it still took him 3 years to adapt to the speed of the D1 game. This guy’s defensive results don’t stand up like Yurcich’s, so I’m more inclined to see this as a downgrade vs. what we’ve had or vs. what we likely could have gotten.

2 Likes

That’s a lie too. You and several others on here know who you’re joy. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out who you’re…… same MO on your writing, same arguments

1 Like

@kyleboone so we get a free shirt for renewing or just new members ? :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

You live “up here” and “not down here” supposedly, yet you are anchored to the past. I remember the 90s. Things like Del Miller’s super secret offense (ha!). And when Gundy took over, just getting us to a bowl game consistently was a reasonable expectation for OSU. But its long past time that we’ve raised that bar.

2 Likes

Hit my DMs and I’m sure we can work something out. :thinking:

1 Like

You meant journalism degrees. , right ? There are all types of “ journalists “

1 Like

That was the Stanley years , right. And I know what happened right after that too. ……:cowboy_hat_face:

Im sorry but we have 3 LBs in the NFL right now. seems he did okay in that department.

1 Like

“Robert and I” lol thats funny.

Take the blue pill Sybil and ease her down a notch.

3 Likes

If.

1 Like

I guess believe whatever you want. I’m tired of arguing with you on this issue. I would figure you would be more worried about commenting about the football program instead of going on some rampage trying to prove I’m someone I’m not.

1 Like

What you need to understand is that if it takes any credit away from Gundy whatsoever they are incapable of acknowledging it. Even though I gave credit to Gundy for hiring the guy. They’ve been this way consistently since I’ve joined the forum.

1 Like

@aix_xpert “As an individual from PA, he doesn’t have ties to any of our recruiting grounds” Ok, that’s absolutely false. You may wanna google up where Emporia St is located. He has recruited in KS & is familiar with the Midwest. I’m not saying he has tons of ties to schools in Texas, but where was Knowles before OSU? Where was Mason before OSU?

“Schemes will break down against D-1 talent”. Dude, I’m not sure if you’re aware……but “schemes” aren’t that different. The talent is. The scheme is not. How did Tressel do with his D-2 scheme? How did Urban Meyer do? How is KState doing right now?

As far as being unable to pull in the stars on the recruiting trail? You may need to check on where the Cowboys are in recruiting as it is. I’m pretty sure Nardo will be able to at least keep the status quo on star rating.

What’s funny about it Buckwheat ? You were a little late for the party and had to throw your 2 cents in ?

You thrive on ifs and buts joy ….

Stanley coached OSU in the 70’s

2 Likes

I don’t need advice or comments from someone that thinks mediocrity is good and improvement doesn’t matter.

1 Like

As I’ve said before I’m willing to give the guy a chance and everything. I just think it would’ve been better to go after a G5 DC that’s in tune with D1 football in some way and has a solid track record at the D1 level. When Yurcich was brought in as the OC it took him a couple of years to adjust to this level. I also wonder if there is going to be any kind of animosity between Nardo and the other defensive assistants that have been there a while.

Don’t exactly know how true this is but I heard Mason and Gundy didn’t quite see eye to eye on some things. Which is why I think Gundy brought someone in that he didn’t want challenging his views that he can keep his thumb on. The other reason is not replacing a guy after 2-3 years. It’s going to be a rough first year for this guy considering we’ve lost some good players on defense and didn’t exactly replace any of them in the portal.

1 Like

I cannot agree more with your 2nd paragraph. Absolute spot on.

As for this year, I think it’ll be tough on everybody in Stillwater. Seems like it could be a bumpy season. Maybe not. Gundy has a history of finding and hiring really good coaches. I know he’s had a few swings and misses, but he’s done a good job overall. This one is definitely a risky hire. But we shall see.

1 Like

You do know that 2 of them would not be in the nfl with out covid not knowless. Argue all you want. Thats the truth. None were recruit by knowless. Cobb is the best that was recruited during knowless time. But, knowless didn’t recruit him. Maybe Donavon make a lb. That maybe 1 recruit knowless did in 5 years.

1 Like