OSU, OU ADs Say Bedlam Series Will End When OU Joins the SEC

When has a non-blueblood program made a playoff other than Cincinnati last year? Do you think Cincinnati would have made it if they had scheduled and lost to OU in the early season? In 2016, Washington (who won a title in the 90s) made the playoff as 12-1 PAC 10 champs. If Washington had scheduled OU and lost, do you think they would have made the playoff? If OSU is to make the playoff, it will have to be undefeated. Perhaps, it can get in with a conference title and 1 loss, but only if one of Clemson, Bama, Georgia, Oh St., ND, etc. have multiple losses. A win over OU is nice for the fanbase and might help OSU get a higher rank, but its impact on the playoff picture in minimal.

1 Like

Dude……you need to look at what the 12 team playoff consists of. OSU wouldn’t be hurt one iota by losing a Non Con to OU. Again……you’re clueless.

By the way……Gsmeday has been to Bedlam 7 times. 5 were in Stillwater. So again……you’re clueless

1 Like

1.) It won’t kill it overnight. It’s disingenuous and silly to be like, “nothing happened yet!” It will stop attracting new viewership because it isn’t offering anything unique. People that have decades of ingrained loyalty to a program will still watch it. The MLB didn’t fade away after five years or a decade of bad decisions. It took a while because the old-timers were still watching. The kids stopped caring. Eventually the old-timers started to peel off too. It’s a profitable league, but it’s fallen way off from the zenith it used to be on.
2.) The playoff expansion is going to diminish the “every game matters” aspect of college football. Those rivalry games aren’t going to matter. No more OSU knocking OU out of their repeat title. Michigan AND Ohio State make it in no matter who wins. That hurts the rivalry.
3.) The product of playoff games is going to be significantly worse as well. It’s already a struggle to find four teams that legitimately have a shot. Yeah, lots more teams will get in, but to what end? So they can play a tough game while Bama rests during their bye and Saban has extra time to demolish someone. Ole Miss would’ve been in the playoffs last year. Why? Was Ole Miss in any way good enough to win it?

1 Like

These are your opinions. You’ve stated them well. I just disagree. Comparing baseball to football……is not a fair comparison. Baseball has waned in popularity……but it is not in any way on a path to dying.

Rivalries are rivalries…….somehow OU playing Texas in the Big 12 title game wasn’t a lesser game. It didn’t diminish the rivalry, I find it odd that somehow those two teams playing in a College Football Playoff would diminish it…….

Saban isn’t going to be around forever. It’s cyclical. I know you think it’s dying a slow death. I, along with TV networks, streaming services, brands purchasing advertising time, the universities and so on do not feel it’s dying either.

Under the proposed new 12 team playoff, win your conference and you are in. Doesn’t matter what your record is.

2 Likes

If OU does not chase the SEC money with their BFF, Texas then Bedlam would continue? What other reason can you fabricate as to why Bedlam won’t continue? Also, you admit, in your post, that OU could care less about Bedlam and I believe that to be true. What pissed off Gundy and many of OSU supporters is Joe C trying to spin it as being something it’s not. One more thing. I totally get that OU has no choice but to go with Texas because of their crappy financial situation but they ought to own the decision, own that Bedlam is no more because of that decision, and not try to cast blame on OSU.

2 Likes

You’re right. OU had to simply tag along with Texas just strictly for money. That’s the only benefit that comes from joining the SEC. Texas runs OU. Always has. Always will. I don’t know how they’ve managed to make it in football.

OU also has no money. They aren’t expanding the locker rooms and training facilities. They didn’t just expand the football operations staff by almost double what it was under he previous administration. They aren’t building a new state of the art softball complex. They aren’t doing a multi-million dollar renovation to the baseball facility. You are correct……OU is in massive money trouble. I fully expect them to implode.

Don’t know if this matters but 5 Things You Need to Know About OU’s Financial Situation on the Norman Campus Edit: sorry for the OU content post on an OSU site.

1 Like

It depends on what you mean by “die”. The MLB isn’t the same MLB as it was 50 years ago. You could say it’s dead. Does it still make money? Yeah, by that metric, it’s alive, but it doesn’t have the same fanbase or prestige it used to. It’s severely diminished making money on a mediocre product.

Rivalries diminish when things become about money. The NFL rivalries basically don’t exist. Some Dallas fan might get fired up about the Eagles, but there’s no love and hate there anymore. It’s just money. I think you misunderstood my point about rivalries, though. OU playing Texas for a conference title had stakes. It wasn’t about how many times they played them. Michigan got to knock Ohio State out of the playoffs this year. If both get in, that game means less because the stakes were lessened. Beating your rival in a game that doesn’t hurt them or help you is lame.

Ok, there’s a lot of money out there… great. You have to be relevant to get money. If your relevancy lessens, the money will lessen too.

2 Likes

Exactly. OU’s ugly, irresponsible financial situation made this happen.

1 Like

Texas……they print money. A&M prints money. They left the Big 12 and headed to the SEC for the same reason OU did.

I like that first point. I didn’t miss a Rangers MLB game for years, but I haven’t watched any pro baseball (other than the Astros game I attended while visiting my wife’s family) on television in 8 years. The players move around too much. I can’t get into it anymore because there’s nothing to get behind.

I worry that the transfer rules will make college football this way. I hadn’t thought about how an expanded playoff might do the same thing. Dang…

2 Likes

I really don’t know why Texas is leaving for the SEC but my wild guess is that they didn’t like the neighborhood or got tired of staring down there noses at the rest of us, OSU et. al., while we kicked their ass over and over. Some reason(s) like that.

1 Like

So there are very few rivalries in the NFL. How’s that entity doing? It’s making money by the truckload. It’s more popular now than it’s ever been. That fervor and excitement is in the college games fan base as well. The viewership and dollars are at an all time high. The MLB & NBA have issues…….yet are still extremely lucrative. Both of those pale in comparison to what the NFL is and will continue to be. The college game isn’t on the decline & there is zero evidence to show otherwise

I would beg to differ. I used to watch the NFL all the time, loved that Washington/Dallas rivalry among others. All that seems to be gone now and I only watch the NFL when there is an OSU player on the team. Just my perspective and may be all alone in it but somehow I doubt it.

2 Likes

Yeah I bet you’re right. Same for A&M I guess?

Just curious here……if you used to love the Dallas-Washington game but don’t now…….what changed?

Oh don’t get him going on the transfer deal VS NIL. I’ve had that discussion many times.

Sorry