PFB+ Basketball Thread 2.0

Round 2 - Go.

3 Likes

Chad Weiberg is the new AD starting July 1. Great thing for the basketball program. Weiberg has big ties to the program with his brother and dad. Holder never made basketball the priority it needed to be imo.

6 Likes

10,000 comments by the end of the Final Four run.

12 Likes

Ooooo, does that mean new contract for Coach B?!?!?!? :eyes:

2 Likes

I hope not :joy:

1 Like

I think we need to be cautious with Mike’s whole contract situation. I say give him a raise and a crap ton of incentives that can boost his pay like another top 25 recruiting class just for example. What we don’t need to do is give him a long term deal imo. I love Mike and think he has great potential, but we can’t be stupid either. We CAN NOT have another Ford situation. I say you wait till after next season, and then evaluate maybe giving out a new deal. We are in the middle of Covid, and no one else would’ve given Mike the opportunity we did. With that being said I would think he would give us grace when it comes to the financial workings of his contract.

9 Likes

Leadership should be getting out in front of the contact now. Opening up communication, get something on the calendar for the day Ok State wins the national champ.

Can’t have an Illinois situation where they show up and outbid a coach on day 1.

1 Like

So what, 3-4 years? I’d be cool with that. That gives him a “full cycle”, so to speak.

6 Likes

They better be communicating with him throughout.

This could easily turn in to a stepping stone type situation if we don’t pony up some $.

He is LAST in the league.

More importantly, coaches like Huggins, Dixon, Kruger have a limited shelf life at this stage in their careers.

Mike is setting the foundation that we lost after eddie to grow this brand, we need to recognize that.

1 Like

This is a movie script.

Third coach in a relatively short time needs to get a raise, but it’s a pandemic and the power is shifting. Can the basketball program get what it needs or will its rebuild be further extended? Coming to theaters (if they’re open) 2021.

12 Likes

AMC to the moon!

5 Likes

@marshall Apparently @KyleCox doesn’t think we are going to score any points in our game tonight :joy:

Honestly I think his score got accidentally left off? Just an FYI!

Yeah, oops.

Of course.

1 Like

I think something that will work in our favor is that HCMB has a character that is different from the last coach. If his family hates Stillwater, he’ll leave. If his dream school comes calling, he’ll leave. But I am absolutely convinced that he won’t leave just to chase the almighty dollar.

1 Like

This.

Mike Boynton is establishing himself as a national brand.

OSU gave him the opportunity to do so.

I don’t think he overlooks that.

That said, we need to communicate and respect his needs from a compensation standpoint.

I expect the number will be reasonable, as he has proven to be reasonable in every other facet of the profession.

14 Likes

I’m not going to say I know any details about USC Columbia, but I will say no one in Greenville that I’ve mentioned basketball to knows who Coach Boynton is.

I get that he maybe wasn’t a star dude like Marcus Smart, but I’m always surprised that I’ll say, “Oklahoma State’s coach played at South Carolina” and both Clemson & USC peeps will respond, “Really? I did not know that.”

I think we know when our alums coach. But it makes me wonder about loyalty to the basketball program. Also, they just fired Will Muschamp and hired OU’s OC Shane Beamer, whom I’m sure wasn’t cheap. I’m not sure they can bring a Brinks truck for anyone, including Boynton.

But I’m talking out of my booty, I’m not particularly knowledgeable about their contracts or UCS finances.

1 Like

Paying a FB coach a ton definitely makes a difference. So yeah, maybe they won’t unload like we think they could to get him.

1 Like

Texas winning tonight and OU ends up with some major soul searching to do. I love that. A cute, vulnerable OU.

A face I did not think I would see again: Jamal Bieniemy (formerly of OU) is on the UTEP team taking it to Kansas right now

2 Likes