PFB+ Debate: Tulsa or OKC?

That’s adorable……

3 Likes

Even more adorable is someone that lives in Edmond instead of the largest major city by land total in this debate…

It’s hard. I’ve got the NBA, recreational lake, and the water sports complex as OKC advantages. But if we extended the debate like the OKC people do then you add better lakes for Tulsa but I keep my debate proper.

1 Like

Tulsa lakes absolutely smash OKC lakes by a landslide. Not even remotely close at all.

That’s area though. I legitimately don’t care about going to a suburb debate when I can just say Tulsa proper is better.

OKC is slightly more business friendly but you can just move to Dallas for that.

There’s no way to settle this debate. It’s all just personal preference. That said, I’m here for it.

5 Likes

I’ll settle this debate. Tulsa > OKC. I can just imagine the shame of admitting you live in OKC, similar to that of admitting you go or went to ou……….juuuuuuuust kidding you proud OKC folks, I have family who live there so it’s all in good fun. :wink:

2 Likes

If I need to be more clear because comprehension is on the low side for you today, I wasn’t commenting on the Tulsa vs OKC debate nonsense. I was specifically talking about your ridiculous comment that you “play devils advocate” in that debate. Clear?

Lakes in OKC: 2. Lakes in Tulsa: 0.

Lakes near Tulsa are definitely superior to lakes near OKC, I will give you that. It is nice to be able to walk to the lake though…

You got it, Edmond.

Tulsa has Lake Yahola. Only one of OKC’s lakes isn’t a complete dump. I mean cruising around 9 miles on your bike is decent and sailing with OKC buildings in the foreground. But again, I’m digging really deep to find actual OKC advantages.

I believe you actually live in the city so that’s good compared to the people living outside of OKC in a burb. Not a lot of credibility there.

Fair. Hefner is nice, but it’s really more like a big pond than a lake. There’s some nice features to it though. And what’s the other? Draper? If so, Draper is a fuel dumping zone for tinker planes and there’s like 1,000 dead bodies at the bottom of it. One of the grossest lakes in the state.:joy: or overholster I guess, not a terrible one. Even though I consider that Bethany.

I think OKC has a wider variety of restaurants / activities, but that could also be because I’ve been an OKC resident and don’t know as much about the Tulsa area. I’ve gotten better with it going up to Sperry basically every weekend the past 3 years.

I grew up in Tulsa Metro, lived in OKC for 4 years and currently live in Edmond. I think Tulsa proper is a much nicer city than OKC proper. Midtown Tulsa along the river, gathering place, Brookside, Utica area is the nicest/prettiest area of Oklahoma. Wealthy residents of OKC had to create Nichols Hills city limits because OKC was so bad. Tulsa has better nature, parks, proximity to lakes. Tulsa has a better skyline and architecture. Tulsa suburbs have superior school facilities, Broken Arrow is in a league of its own. South Tulsa suburbs concentration is also really nice and convenient. Tulsa has a major inferiority complex, because it will never host a Big 4 sports team. Tulsa is also less likely to attract big companies to the area. BOK is best arena in Oklahoma but not for long. Downtown Tulsa isn’t even in the same ballpark as downtown OKC.

OKC Metro has exponentially more growth potential than Tulsa. OKC has more civic pride and a big city feel - it is very much a new age American big city in progress and it isn’t slowing down any time soon. OKC has a much nicer and family friendly downtown - its honestly one of the nicest downtowns I’ve been to in the country because everything is brand new via MAPS. MAPS will continue to widen the gap between OKC and Tulsa in terms of amenities. $1 billion world class arena incoming. Between being the Capital (state govt), having OU within the Metro, and the Thunder, OKC metro inherently has more stable economic engines. OKC economy will continue to diversify as big companies for better or worse see OKC as a big league city with a brand. OKC has better and more restaurants (even though Tulsa has a good food scene as well), much better bar scene & entertainment options. OKC is much more attractive for young people due to this. Edmond IMO is the nicest suburb in the state and only 45 minutes from Stillwater.

It all comes down to what you prefer. If you prefer nature, more dense city fabric, smaller city feel Tulsa is for you.

I personally prefer the energy, aura, and pride that comes from living in OKC metro. More opportunity, better economy, and national/world relevancy. City is exploding with outside investment as we speak.

8 Likes

Fair analysis.

I agree that MAPS has pushed OKC’s trajectory further than Tulsa. I do think that Tulsa civic leaders have realized that and are starting to think the same way.

OKC has tremendous energy right now, all sorts of cool developments happening. Tulsa has the bones to be really special… just need to continue to build.

Tulsa has more corporate giants IMO (Williams, OneOKE, Magellan). But OKC has the state government and Tinker which is as stable as it gets.

3 Likes

This is probably the most succinct way to summarize this whole topic. I’ve lived in both cities and, transparently, favor Tulsa for various reasons. But MAPS has made OKC the focal point of the state from a commercial standpoint and will continue to be the differentiator for the foreseeable future.

1 Like

Tulsa relies a little too much on BOK, OneOk, Williams for my taste. Kaiser single handily saved the city.

1 Like

From a geographical and aesthetic perspective I far prefer Tulsa though.

2 Likes

:dart: