Who actually still believes?

Anybody? Really, anybody?

•Gundy has won 13% of bedlam games. OSU as a whole against Ou is at 15%. That’s quite a massive dropoff Gundy has brought compared to all of these other OSU coaches, huh?

•Gundy has won 1 conference title, and played in 4 de facto conference titles. All Oklahoma state coaches all combined previous to Gundy won a total of 1 conference titles since the color television was invented. (That’s 1 total in the 52 years leading up to the Gundy hire).

They’ve played in 31 bowl games. Half of those have come during their current streak. They’ve been ranked inside the top 20 at some point in the season 27 times since the AP poll was created in 1936. 12 of those times came in the past 13 seasons (reached the top 10 9 times since 2008, something they had done 4 times total before that). They had been ranked in the top 25 at any point throughout the season 14 times from 1932-2004. They’ve been ranked at some point in the season the last 13 years straight. They’ve won 9 times total against Texas in the history of the program. 7 of those have come in the past decade.

He literally has an OU problem. That is it. Yes, he loses games to teams he shouldn’t, but so does OU. Every. Single. Season. If he would have just beat OU half the time he’s lost, literally the entire outlook of his tenure here would go from subpar (or even apparently being on people’s hitlist judging by your over-obsessive infatuation with your hatred for him) to a superhero. He’d have 4-5 conference titles and a slew of big bowl games to go along with his other accolades he’s been able to accomplish here. I cannot stress enough how overwhelmingly frustrating it is that he craps the bed so often against them, but pretty much everyone throughout the history of Oklahoma state football has done the same. It’s an Oklahoma state football problem with them, it always has been. If he was just remotely better in that series he’d be a top-tier coach, both locally and nationally. Ou has severely crippled his accomplishments, and he can’t figure out how to shake it.

2 Likes

OU doesn’t dominate the way they did in the 50’s 60’s 70’s and 80’s. Iowa State has as many wins in the last 16 years as Gundy. TCU has 2 wins in the last 16 years with just 12 games. West Virginia has 1 win in 9 games. Kansas doesn’t have any wins but everyone else has more wins than Gundy. That’s Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, and K State. So to recap, only Kansas and west Virginia have a worse record than Gundy.

Now on to Texas. This is not to say that the record would be a lot better but do you know how many games against Texas were played in Stillwater before the Big 12? Exactly zero. So before the big 12 it wasn’t a level playing field.

And again, that’s Gundy’s downfall. That’s the sword his career will inevitably fall on. He can’t figure out how to beat OU. The point is, that is what has constantly stood between him being a so-so coach and him being one of the top 5 coaches in the nation. One team. Every year.

Ou has won the past 6 conference titles in a row, 8 in the 2010s. they’ve been to the playoffs 3 times, the most loses they’ve had in a season the past 5 years is 2, they’ve reached the top 5 at some point every single year since 2007. They’re not AS dominant as those teams because those were arguably the best runs in the history of college football. That doesn’t mean they aren’t dominant. That’s like saying the warriors have sucked in every single season they’ve played other than 2015, because they didn’t finish 73-9 all of those other years. Doesn’t make sense.

4 of OSU’s 7 wins vs Texas in the 2010’s came in Austin.

2 Likes

Oops sorry, they’ve been to the CFP 4 times, not 3.

I will send this to u because ar0 never looks at the other side.
That 1 title we had was a 3 way tie. So gundy has the only clear title since the 40’s when they were in a league of 3 or 4 teams.
Everyone beat us in the 50’s and 60’s.
One reason a team like ou is not as dominant is the 85 scholarship rule( they would have 120). They still 4 to 5 times the 4 stars. So if u want to talk who is not producing its ou. They definitely lose games they shouldn’t.
We should do better in bedlam. But 1 play usual costs us.
One thing that guys like ar0 never look at is other coaches do the same things. Riley could when against ksu and isu because he had players out. When we lose 5 linemen its Gundy’s fault. When riley"s thug have to sit, Campbell is a great coach.
Do I want a 4 and 7 team beat ou yes but not going to trade a 9 and 3 team lose.
Were building r defense this should help. But miles losing a game 52 to 9 makes it not look like a rival game.

You’re an idiot. They are arguably in their strongest/most consistent decade ever.

They did have 6 natty’s and bud had his 47 game win streak. 60’s not so much.
In this century ou has dominated the big 12( 14 of 20).
But, national not with just one natty in the dawn of the century. It not just that they 1 undefeated season and 1 1 lose season. Both have been years ago.

They’re not! Very little research could help you tremendously. The decade before, 1 less win but won a national championship. 3 national championships in the 50’s and 2 in the 70’s.
And you’re calling other people an idiot. You can pretend that they are harder to beat to make Gundy look better in your eyes and make you feel better but the facts aren’t on your side.

They still have a hugh advantage in recuirts. Their coaches are just bad. They’ve had whole sell coach firings. Just terrible defensive.
I’m when u let a 2 star bad qb like corndog throw for 500 yard and almost 50 points how can u win a natty.

I’M ON YOUR SIDE! But you’re ignoring the fact that they’re on one of the best decades in their history.

If he can figure out how to win the conference and still lose to OU, I’m fine with that. But the idea that he brought dramatic change to the program is BS. Averaging 4th in the conference is not that dramatic.

Ur still doing u same ole same ole. Ur best at crying. Who could we get to get us over the hump. What % do give that coach to do it.
Best thing give him at least the same money as ku spend on recruiting. And pay the assist.

You think someone from Shippensburg University should start off making what the average offensive coordinator in the conference makes? The only reason our assistants are paid less is because they have no experience, no one has heard of them and they come from B F Egypt.

Oh I agree on the two oc before dunn glad there gone.
But we dnt have bad coaches. I know u think so because u only look at results. Results matter but improvement is there. I know u can’t see that. Thats fine its ur agenda. How can u cry if point out anything good.
U talk about gundy not wanting to win. Well ku spends more then us I guess the ad doesn’t want to win. Gundy definitely brings in more money the ku.

I don’t know that he doesn’t want to win. I think he doesn’t know how.
Bill Snyder with half the talent could out coach him.
Gary Patterson with half the talent can out coach him.
Lincoln Riley will always have more talent and beat Gundy whether Gundy’s got talent or not.

Snyder had good coaches and was a good coach. Had a nice system. Yes less recuirts. But gundy still has a few years left to get that second title.
Patterson does not have lesser recuirts.
Both of those with gundy are basic the same have had great years with less then ou has. But gundy has not had the down years.
All three are the best coach at their schools.

Go through any and every statistic possibly imaginable in the 120 year history of Oklahoma state football and you will find that half of the leading statistics came during Gundy’s 15-year tenure. That’s not compared to any one single coach in OSU history, that’s compared to all coaches in the 100+ years he wasn’t head coach all combined together. Over half of our ranked seasons have come under him. Half of our total bowl appearances and half of our total bowl wins have come under him. 80% of our seasons ranked in the top 10 have come under him. His 2011 season effectively shut down the BCS system and that team was one of only two teams to finish the season as the #1 team in the point-driven NCAA performance metric not to be awarded the national championship, along with UCF in 2017.

Before Gundy, OSU had 7 total 9+ win seasons in their entire almost century-long history. Two of those 7 came with him at quarterback. He’s had 9 of them himself as HC. 9 of OSU’s 10 seasons that they’ve ever had double digit wins in either came with him at QB or him at HC.

To say things aren’t much better under Gundy than they were before him is flat out ignorant. The program has been putrid throughout its entire history and his teams alone have given you the entitlement to think 9 wins seasons aren’t enough. Before him, 9 win seasons were an anomaly at best. Now they’re expected, and shamed when they don’t happen.

The biggest part of it all is whenever we have these conversations, the side that notes Gundy’s achievements will also point out his flaws and failures. You seem incapable of giving him credit for anything.

2 Likes

If OU left and went to another conference while everyone else stayed, would Gundy’s numbers get better or worse? If they got better, would that mean he got better as a coach? Is Texas as good as they were when Gundy started? When you lose to OU every year and at least 6 teams in the conference have a losing record in conference, how good are you?

Alot of ifs. But keep them rolling.